Wednesday, October 1, 2008




So I was running an errand on Saturday and Chrissy told me to look in a neighbor's yard and that I'd see a zebra. I kinda didn't really believe her, but hey this is Fletcher/Elgin (Felgin) Oklahoma--Anything can happen!

I ran my errand, saw the "zebra," and on the way home interviewed the owner. As it turns out it's a half-zebra half donkey. So literally this is our "Half-Assed" Neighbor.

There are very few instances where I can use that phrase. After suppressing the phrase in my lexicon for several years, I now get to use it with a smile.

Some interesting facts:
  • The animals are known by several different names source
    • zonkey, zedonk, or even zebrass
    • one zoo in Japan even announced they had a zenky
    • no formal name is approved
  • In South Africa they occur where zebras and donkeys are found in proximity to each other. Like mules, however, they cannot usually breed, due to an odd number of chromosomes disrupting meiosis. However, in The Origin of Species, Charles Darwin reported a case of a zonkey that apparently bred with a bay mare to produce a "triple hybrid." source
  • More Images
Who knows, maybe next week I'll go run an errand and get to see a Liger!!!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Dian's Blog said...

That is the coolest thing ever

Matt and Haley Hargrave said...

Okay Jake, Really this is one of your better ones. Keep me posted on the liger situation.

matt

Roeckers said...

I personally thought this was a great post. I'm waiting to hear my mother's reaction to it!

-Jacob

PaPa Hovan said...

Jacob remember to beware of the ligers. They don't like people.

www.trailbrain.com said...

Dear Tom:

I'd say that Ligers do like people. After all since the cats are so much larger than their parents they're probably going to like people even more. I mean think about it--to a liger a human is like the perfect size toy, and like all good toys when you're done playing with it--it's edible.

So, not to be contentious, but I would venture to say that ligers like humans--for all the wrong reasons.

PaPa Hovan said...

I stand corrected. Now is that with hot sauce and BBQ'd or plain and fried with onions?

Post a Comment