Sunday, October 5, 2008



Tonight I finished the code for the Book of Mormon Podcast. I can now go to sleep knowing that it's completed.

Since I started the podcast as a way to keep busy while listening to Spring's General Conference I've had more than 400 people sign up for the podcast. It's neat to think that they depend on me for something as important as their scripture study.

When you search in iTunes for the podcast you'll notice there's another gentleman that has podcasted the book of Mormon under the title of "The Official Audio Book of Mormon." There's nothing "official" about his version of the podcast--except that is uses the same church audio files.

One of the reason why my version took so long to produce is that each chapter contains the summary information integrated with the files. This makes the podcast appear more professional.

What's the next step? I'd encourage the fellow bloggers out there to add a link to http://roeckerfam.com/bom.xml on their webpages with the title of "The Book of Mormon Podcast." Every search engine looks at blogs to find new and popular topics. They increase the ranking of a search's keywords based upon how many blogs & websites that have the link. Right now "the book of mormon podcast" shows this podcast as 7th. If you can take the time to link to it eventually it'll win out as the first choice.

Oddly enough this is an online project where I don't actually get anything out of it. I could have built the podcast for some gain, but didn't because it didn't feel right. The other six search results that are ahead of this one--didn't deliver a free version of the scriptures :-(.

Well, thanks for listening!

0 comments:

Post a Comment