Monday, September 1, 2008

I'm a project guy. There doesn't seem to be an end to the list of projects I've got running around the house. Some of them I haven't finished. Some of them I'll probably never finished. I'm not sure how many other "project guys" there are out there but every time I hear about an open source free something-or-other I think to myself--Wow there's a guy that actually got a project done--and I can use it to.

Today's project is something that just got released in early August. Recently Apple decided to open up the iPods to externally written applications. This means that you can do any number of things legally on the machines that you used to only be able to do illegally before. Now that it's legal to create apps for the devices what's one of the first apps created?

You guessed it! The LDS scriptures. Searching on the iTunes store there's several versions of this. One done by Lee Falin is free. This application only works with the iPod touch and the iPhone. Since I don't own either one I can't tell you how well it works. I can tell you it's available.

Today I also added 21 new chapters to the Book of Mormon Podcast. It seems that there's a lot of good people willing to take sharing the scriptures to the digital community out there.

Got an iPhone or iPod Touch? You can download both the application and the podcast. If you're in the mood to read the scriptures you can listen to them. If you're in the mood to read then you'll have them available.

For all iTunes (and most other media players) you do not need an iPod to use the Book of Mormon Podcast. In iTunes you'd select "Advanced" "Subscribe to Podcast" and then input the following link: "http://roeckerfam.com/bom.xml"

There's a few other significant projects I'll be talking about this week as well. Stay tuned. Try them for a week. Remember they're digital--if you don't like them--delete them.

2 comments:

Gillz said...

Oooh, thanks for posting this. I actually just got an iPod touch for FREE with the purchase of my new laptop. Talk about pleasant surprises. A free printer came with it, too, that can scan and copy and all kinds of tricks. People can say what they will about Steve Jobs and his black turtlenecks, but Apple is a decent company...I've been a Mac girl since I was six.

I had heard about the applications for the new iPods, but hadn't looked into any, still learning the ropes, etc. As a regular commuter, having the scriptures so close at hand will be great. I like your blog, Roecker (unrelated note).

Roeckers said...

Thanks Gillz. Your blog is way better English wise--I'm jealous. Maybe if I had a better teacher :-)

Ok, maybe if I were more teachable.

There was only one day in class I remember you ever feeling like you got to teach and be yourself. I'm not sure what was going on that day but you just seemed to hit the right tone on everything. It all clicked. We laughed with you, and respected you, learned from you and you learned from us all in the same day.

I hope you're having more days like that. Recently I've had to teach Eliza (6.5) and her younger brothers to recognize a 'good day' when they have one. It didn't occur to me that it's something you have to learn to recognize.

There's probably a lot more that could be said about that--but I don't want to get too preachy. Keep your head up girl! I don't cheer for football teams--I cheer for people. You're one of them!


Unrelated note--did you ever try tracking your visitor stats? I'm curious as to who's visiting your blog--it should be a pretty popular one. :-)

Post a Comment