Sunday, August 31, 2008




Well, the weekend's not quite over yet and we've got some great photos to share. Earlier in the week Jamie McDonald, the builder for our development here, lived up to a promise he made a few months ago. When he originally did the landscaping it was back in April time frame. After he grated the yard it had perfect drainage. Then the typical April and May showers arrived--including some t-storms that drop an inch or more in a half an hour--there was a lot of damage due to erosion. He knew we had a couple of 'puddle spots' and volunteered to fix them. I asked him to wait until I could get enough grass seed.

Let me tell you about the COOP in Elgin. I talked with Chrissy about how much money we could spend on grass seed. She told me $50. I walked in and talked to the gentleman behind the counter and said: "My wife has given me $50 to buy grass seed."

He smiles. Then he does some math on an old calculator and says: "That's about 15lbs."

We go to the section of the store with the grass seed. He picks up a bag with some seed in it, and puts in on the scale. It weighs in at 18lbs. He goes to grab a scoop and takes out one scoop. I tell him the scale reads 16lbs. He shrugs his shoulders and then puts the scoop back in. Takes the entire bag back to the register and rings me up for $50. I then ask him how much land this will cover and he explains that it's 10lbs for 1 acre.

I'm only re-seeding about half an acre and I manage to get more seed than I paid for and more seed than I need. What a deal!

So when Jamie was here we put Daniel in the tractor and had him help drive it. Jamie took a few turns with Daniel at the wheel and then let Eliza had a turn. Both the kids, and our builder were good sports and now the dirt is a lot closer to being ready to plant! Yahoo!

On Friday we got to go see the parade in Fletcher OK. It consisted of tractors, the entire school system from grades 3+ and some other local interests. One of my favorite is the BEE truck. A while back I ran into a store that sold local honey--great stuff. There was a newspaper clipping showing how their truck was part of a tv show. I guess there's a show on CMT called "Trick My Truck" and at some point the business was selected to have their truck revamped by the show. The painting detail looks incredible and so I had Chrissy take a couple of pictures while I was holding the kids.

In other news, dad told me about how he got a Mac. It looks like the one he got was one of the newer groovy really really really cool ones. Well, we got a MAC as well. It's not as nice as dad's but hey, you pay for the logo right? This thing even has a 3.5 inch floppy drive and an RJ10 network card. It's going to take some gadget hunting to get the thing on the internet--I don't even think they made a browser for this machine! It's a fun project to have on the side.

Yesterday we took Leslie up to Mt Scott and the Holy City near here. We all had fun and snapped photos of things while we were up there. It was a good time. All of the photos so far are part of the web album slideshow at the end of this post.

Last night it rained. Our water bill from last month showed up and told us we needed to water the yard less than what we were doing. I bought large blue rain barrels to catch the water off the roof and we had just the right amount of rain last night. No erosion--but all the soil is throughly moist so I can plant tomorrow morning. I love having a yard. It's neat! It's work, but I've got to learn to take care of it. It's one of the reasons why Chrissy's taking a job. I figure if we take care of what we've been entrusted with, God will help take care of us. So far I'd say my theory is right--you be the judge.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that you have your barrels for your rain barrel project - take a look at the DIY rain barrel kits at http://www.aquabarrel.com - they also have downspout filters, downspout diverters and first flush water diverters

Post a Comment