Saturday, July 26, 2008

tornado_warning.gif
It started off as just a typical morning. I went and did PT with the guys in class up on base. At the end of one course we'll usually play sports for PT. This was no different. We played a version of football that was a lot like ultimate frisbee. I would have rather had the frisbee. Something about a sport with a ball doesn't really appeal to me (unless it's soccer).

After PT I hopped in the car to take care of an appointment at the house. I arrived and tidied up. Chrissy had been on the road for several hours at this point and I'll let her talk about the insanity of her trip. I sat and waited, got the phone call that they were coming, and somewhere close to 10:00 the movers arrived.
We unloaded the van all day. The quiet, clean, empty house began filling up with brown boxes. The bedroom closet got full. The master bedroom got full. The kitchen got full--so we put kitchen stuff in the garage. The garage got full. The movers we had were great! They were courteous and very careful with everything they unloaded. Of course, some things got damaged during shipment. Our cheap bookshelves that we've had for years didn't like this move and broke. The terracotta pots didn't survive. Other little things were damaged and the walls in the house got their first scratch as the old blue couch was being moved in.

The soundtrack for the day was from over the hedge--granted this place seems to be away from the suburbs--but it seemed rather appropriate.


At the end of the day they tried to help assemble the beds. By this point I knew Chrissy was fast approaching and the beds were a must. We looked diligently for the box that had the hardware, to no avail. So we started working on the paperwork. It was pretty easy. There was a whole crate of our stuff missing. I contemplated living without a dryer and our flat panel TV and decided quickly that I like both of those things too much to do without them. The paperwork was easy because we just wrote in big letters "SHIPMENT INCOMPLETE." The movers had a tornado of their own to deal with finding the crate. A mislabled crate in a warehouse is a difficult thing to find.

At the house the tornado arrived about twenty minutes after the movers left. I found the box of hardware for the beds. Our neighbor (Stacie) has four kids. The younger three like to come over and visit. While the movers were here their presence was somewhat obtrusive. When they came by after dinner though they were quite helpful. Austin helped me put together Eliza's bed--definitely a two person job--couldn't have done it without him! Christie and Kyla helped me with the boys bunk-bed--Definitely a two person job--couldn't have done it without them! Things were looking up.

Chrissy was going to arrive sometime around midnight and that gave me just a few hours to get things ready for their arrival and breakfast in the morning. I started with the clothes on hangars--got those boxes empty and remembered that my kids really like cereal. In order to eat cereal they'd need bowls. So I found a box labled "Kitchen, Glassware" and began to empty it. About the middle of the box I realized that there weren't any bowls in there and that there were about 4 boxes labeled "Kitchen, Glassware."

With Chrissy's arrival there was more than just me emptying boxes. Now the house is cluttered with a mixture of boxes and unboxed items strewn across the house. The last boxes showed up yesterday with the dryer. The house is messy--it's probably my fault.

Last night we went shopping. In addition to not talking about our goals and getting frustrated as a family, Daniel ran a shopping cart into the back of my left leg--knocking me over. We got home and vented. The adults got out on the front porch and enjoyed a "sit" and at 9:00pm it was still warm enough for the kids to run around in the sprinklers.

It might have the fact that my camera doesn't take good photos at night--but some of these photos make it look like once we're finished with this moving tornado we've got three smaller ones coming.









0 comments:

Post a Comment