Sunday, June 22, 2008


This week consisted of Combatives in the morning and Marksmanship training in the afternoon. Since few of the family members who actually might be reading this know much about the Army let me explain combatives. It's a fighting style adopted and modified by the Army. It incorporates wrestling moves and some martial arts moves. For a guy that had never done wrestling and had one hour of martial arts training I was definitely a fish out of water. By the end of the week I got my feet wet enough to win 2 out of 3 matches against another platoon.

The video above shows a combatives match. It's not me fighting, but it gives you an idea of what we did this week.

But I'm jumping ahead a bit.--Let's talk about Monday.

So we've found our house in Elgin/Fletcher that we wanted to buy and had a closing date of June 30th. When I approached the folks in charge of me to get the time off I needed on the 30th I wasn't getting anywhere. Sure they were sympathetic, but not enough to grant me the time off I needed. It tends to be a theme with folks I deal with. I'm not sure what's on the schedule for the 30th but it seemed to be important.

I didn't know it at the time but while I was trying to get things going with the chain of command our realtor was trying to get things straigtened out with the lending company. There had been a bit of misleading conversation with them regarding interest rates during our application process. Our realtor was not happy with the way it was being handled and stepped in to let them know what an imposition the miscommunication was. The results of that conversation involved the lending company offering an unprecedented deal to assist us and "make things right" but only if we could close on Wednesday.

I said yes.

On Wednesday our realtor was scheduled to have a root canal and wouldn't be available for the final 'showdown.' So we even got everyone to push things back to Thursday. On Thursday morning Jacob and Chrissy Roecker assumed ownership of 165 NE Coyote Drive in Fletcher Oklahoma.

Our complete new address (so you can start sending the junk mail) is:
Jacob & Chrissy Roecker
165 NE Coyote Drive
Fletcher, OK 73541

Despite the closing the school's schedule didn't allow me to go to the house until Saturday morning. I woke up early and made a trip to Walmart. I bought toilet paper, paper towels, ketchup, mustard, and a number of other nick-nacks. The plan was to meet Katie and Jacob (The Hovans) and head to OKC to pick up their mountain bikes. On the way back we'd get a grill. They were going to pick me up at the house on the way so I had to hurry and get the groceries home. I didn't stop to eat at the DFAC on base. I planned on having a bowl of cereal at the house once I got there.

When I inventoried all the things I needed I noticed that I didn't have a spoon. Jacob and Katie came over and we left. I sat in the back seat with a growly stomach trying to suppress my grouchy attitude. We got their mountain bikes and then headed home. I finally got a burger to eat at a Wendy's (Good burger too) and then we kept driving south west.

We stopped in Chickasha and tried to buy a grill at the walmart there. Instead we got stuff to build one, bought plasticware, and headed back to the house.

At the house we snacked, and then when for a bike ride. We didn't find too many trails off the roads we went on, but we did find a lot of bumpy roads (gotta justify those front shocks somehow). The drivers we shared the roads with were courteous and we had a blast. The weather was hot, but had a perfect breeze while riding.

yard. Actually Jacob, who's a landscape guy inWhen we got back to the house we watched a movie and then built a bit of a grill in the back the real world built it for me. It's waaaay better than I would have done. It's just some left over bricks from the yard and then a bit of a cut out on the storm cellar. Since the storm cellar kinda-cuts into the functionality of the back yard this allows us to take some of that functionality back. It worked great! Dinner was good.

Somewhere in the process of making dinner I looked at the box of Frosted Flakes and noticed something I hadn't noticed before. They came with a promotional Indiana Jones spoon! ARGH! All of my grumbly stomach would have been avoided if I had bothered to read the box!

The evening concluded with something that seems to be common around here--a nice sunset. No photo can ever encapsulate how awesome sunsets really are. This one's not bad. But it's no where near the way it really looked yesterday. Combatives has made my nose a bit tender. It's days like this Saturday that make up for it.

When we were buying the house I called the town to the south and asked them if we were in their town. They said no. When I called the town to the north I asked them if we were in their town. They said no. It seems that our property gets mail from the Fletcher post office, but we essentially live no where. It seems though that the acre of land our kids will spend the next few years on will do a lot to prepare us for heaven.

2 comments:

Roeckers said...

That is a great view out back. Now all we need is one of those nice hammock chairs to hang off the back porch so we can sit there and enjoy it.
I think we will finish the grill pit and keep it. I always wanted one. I built one for dad but he never uses it, since we left.
Love you and miss you!

mckell said...

so you need a new post... i am bored with this one. lol jk. how are things going? mike is gone now and i have no life. suddenly i have tons of extra time that i have no idea where came from. i thought i had a life before mike... maybe not! lol jk.

Post a Comment